Cape San Blas Lighthouse
We have a successful lighthouse moving story with this beacon. Built more than 130 years storms throughout the years battered the lighthouse and associated buildings; Hurricane Isaac eroded the last shoreline in front of the lighthouse to close in 2012 and be prepared for a move. On July 15, 2014 lighthouse, its two keepers’ quarters and oil house were trucked on flatbed trailers from Cape San Blas to Port St. Joe, Florida.
The lighthouses in Oregon are a bit shorter than in North Carolina but with the advantage of placing them on cliffs more than makes up for the difference. This gives one the opportunity to hike above some of these beautiful structures and photograph from angles not possible in the southeast.
Heceta Head Lighthouse:
This 56 foot tall lighthouse built in 1892 is dwarfed by its surroundings and its beam can be seen 21 miles away. It is the brightest light on the Oregon coast and was automated in 1963. The head lightkeeper’s house was demolished in 1940 due to electrification but the duplex that housed the two assistant lightkeepers was preserved and is in use as a bed and breakfast.
Yaquina Head Lighthouse
Built in 1872 the lighthouse was known early in its existence as the Cape Foulweather Lighthouse. The 93 foot tower is Oregon’s tallest lighthouse. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages the Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area which extends out from the Oregon coast one mile into the Pacific Ocean. The lighthouse is also in this natural area. The BLM interpretive center has displays and personal on site to explain the history of lighthouses on the Oregon coast.
Cape Mereas Lighthouse
This lighthouse was built in 1890 at Tillamook Bay. The lighthouse is now inactive and part of the Cape Meares State Scenic Viewpoint. Only 38 feet tall, its perch on the cliff put the beam at 223 feet over the ocean. The light was taken out of service in 1963 when an automatic light was installed a few feet away. The original structure was saved in 1964 when it was deeded to Tillamook County; it was later turned over to the state.
Bestie Point Lighthouse
Built in 1858, the Coast Guard automated Point Betsie Lighthouse the fall of 1983. The US Coast Guard gave the lighthouse to Benzie County in 2004. The Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse leased the lighthouse who renovated the exterior of the lighthouse in 2006.The group repainted the lighthouse in its more historic colors of a black lantern, green trim and doors, and a red cedar shingled roof. I love all the angles softened by the cylinder of the light tower in this photograph. The fog horn is right behind the combined lighthouse and keeper’s cottage.
Little Sable Point Lighthouse
On the northern shore of Lake Michigan this is different from most of the other Great Lakes lighthouses as it isn’t painted but left in the natural brick color. Perhaps, and I am only speculating, this is so it won't be confused with Big Sable Point Lighthouse. This 100 foot tall lighthouse’s construction was completed in 1874.
Located in St Ignace, Michigan this lighthouse has a surprising story. It was originally erected as a tourist roadside attraction in 1998 at Monroe, MI. In 2006 it was moved to St. Ignace and Wawatam became an official lighthouse. It guards the harbor of St. Ignace in the Straits of Mackinac.
Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse
Located on Lake Superior in close to Munising Michigan on Grand Island this lighthouse’s construction was completed in1868. This lighthouse had a short official duty and was last lit for navigational use on October 29, 1908. A group rallied to save the abandoned lighthouse from being consumed by the lake in 1999 and work to stabilize the building began in 2002.
Point Reyes Lighthouse
This lighthouse was built in 1870 to warn mariners of Point Reyes, a navigational hazard that juts 10 miles out from the shoreline. After 105 years in 1975 the lighthouse was retired from service. At that time the U.S. Coast Guard installed an automated light by the historic tower. The National Park Service became the owners and stewards of this beautiful lighthouse.